Attention Gocs: Emergency Medical Help Thread

talk about news, give advice, ask questions

Moderator: RunniNirvana

Re: Attention Gocs: Emergency Medical Help Thread

Postby Hildog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Also MP how fixed is the number of fat cells in a body ? I read when people look fatter it's not because they gained fat cells but rather that the fat cells became bigger ? How hard is it to add or subtract fat cells from a body? And that's why it's easy to lose some weight (shrinking fat cells) but hard to "lose it all" (killing blood cells) and so easy to gain it back (fat cells expanding again). Does this jive more or less with the actual science ?
Hildog

Postby GoatMP » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Hildog wrote:Also MP how fixed is the number of fat cells in a body ? I read when people look fatter it's not because they gained fat cells but rather that the fat cells became bigger ? How hard is it to add or subtract fat cells from a body? And that's why it's easy to lose some weight (shrinking fat cells) but hard to "lose it all" (killing blood cells) and so easy to gain it back (fat cells expanding again). Does this jive more or less with the actual science ?

I don't know a ton about it and may be hand-waving a little here. My understanding too is that the number of adipocytes (fat cells) is roughly stable but the amount of lipids/fats/oils stored in those cells varies and thus the fatty tissue shrinks/grows based on that. I don't think the weight loss issue has to do with it being harder to lose adipocytes. I think it's more that as the body's stores of fat is reduced, metabolic changes may start to take place such that it becomes harder to burn off the last remaining fat and then if someone doesn't maintain their new lifestyle, the fat re-accumulates.
I'm the renaissance man of track and field, bitch.

"Praise the grammar police" - Pavement
GoatMP
Grammar M. Police

Postby runnerunner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:27 pm

https://www.facebook.com/VirtuaHealth/v ... 754419202/

Just saw this on tv, anyone recognize the doctor at the 35 second mark?
runnerunner
Site Admin

Postby Narddog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Get Au-t of here!
Narddog
Marathon Mastermind

Postby PV Goat » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 pm

That’s solid gold.
Ass Cancer Beware
PV Goat
falcon PUNCH!

Postby jiggy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:19 am

Narddog wrote:Au-t of here!

PV Goat wrote:solid gold.

periodic table joke
jiggy
Old-timer

Postby bmwalker » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm

To follow up on an earlier part of this thread, I finished my last major doctor appointment today. I had a whole list of doctor appointments and tests after fainting. Providentially, everything came back with no results. The doctors think that is was just dehydration.
bmwalker

Postby Drew » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:18 am

I have been having some lightheadness (minimal!) that has gone on for a few months now. Did a few check-ins with my PCP about it who varied my antihistimes/decongestants which didn't seem to help much if at all. His theory was inner ear congestion still. I have a cat allergy and live with cats - but that has been under control w Claritin or Allegra.

Got referred to allergist. They did a work-up two weeks ago with a focus on inner ear but didn't find anything. They did a battery of tests this week to dig in deeper. I should get a consult/mtg w the Dr later today but thought you might have a read on this as well.

The doc notes an impression of an Abnormal ENG with a left caloric weakness that is a peripheral lesion. In a brief call with an office admin, he said that it meant a slight balance center weakness on my left side.
Drew

Postby Drew » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Update:

Met with the Dr. He thinks that I just need some physical therapy focused on re-training balance nerves, i.e. “balance therapy” or "vestibular rehab." He is also recommending an MRI to rule out something pressing on the left nerve. He re-iterated that he didn’t think this is the cause but we should check to be sure.
Drew

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Drew wrote:Update:

Met with the Dr. He thinks that I just need some physical therapy focused on re-training balance nerves, i.e. “balance therapy” or "vestibular rehab." He is also recommending an MRI to rule out something pressing on the left nerve. He re-iterated that he didn’t think this is the cause but we should check to be sure.

Do you have a history of headaches or migraines or a family history of migraines? You can have a "vestibular migraine" without having the traditional symptoms of migraines or headaches.

Also, have you had any hearing loss on left side? This could be indicative of something like vestibular labyrinthitis or Meniere's. Though I'm sure many of the tests were to rule in/out Meniere's so that is likely less of a concern.

The purpose of vestibular rehab is to train/recalibrate your vestibular ocular reflex or (VOR) back to normal. When functioning properly your VOR stabilizes your gaze during head movements. If there is a "unilateral hypofunction" one vestibular nerve fires at a different rate than the other and can cause dizziness, instability, etc during head movements or during static stance. Rehab will essentially consist of progressively more difficult tasks to work on maintaining gaze stability.

Full disclosure: I am not an MD or in med school but am getting my DPT and have some experience on the rehab side of vestibular disorders.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Drew » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Ivo Milic-Strkalj wrote:
Drew wrote:Update:

Do you have a history of headaches or migraines or a family history of migraines? You can have a "vestibular migraine" without having the traditional symptoms of migraines or headaches.
>> I do have periodic low grade headaches (I take an Advil and they go away) but no migraines or family history of migraines that I know of.

Also, have you had any hearing loss on left side? This could be indicative of something like vestibular labyrinthitis or Meniere's. Though I'm sure many of the tests were to rule in/out Meniere's so that is likely less of a concern.

>> No hearing loss at all. The Dr ruled out Meniere's. He wondered aloud whether I might have had a cold when this started in August and it could have been a viral infection that sent the nerve for a loop.

The purpose of vestibular rehab is to train/recalibrate your vestibular ocular reflex or (VOR) back to normal. When functioning properly your VOR stabilizes your gaze during head movements. If there is a "unilateral hypofunction" one vestibular nerve fires at a different rate than the other and can cause dizziness, instability, etc during head movements or during static stance. Rehab will essentially consist of progressively more difficult tasks to work on maintaining gaze stability.

>> thx for the context!

Full disclosure: I am not an MD or in med school but am getting my DPT and have some experience on the rehab side of vestibular disorders.
Drew

Postby Drew » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:56 am

Update:

MRI is clean

Physical therapist says the balance center is not showing any weakness that would cause these symptoms. Her recommendation is looking into this being a vascular issue related to me switching to a standing desk the same month this started.
Drew

Previous

Return to Running