What's The Scuttlebutt?

talk about news, give advice, ask questions

Moderator: RunniNirvana

Re: What's The Scuttlebutt?

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Fri May 19, 2017 11:22 am

Supporters of Salazar's branch of the NOP are beginning to sound kind of like Trump supporters who deny all of the evidence about collusion with Russia.

But, in all seriousness, I believe that a lot of other groups around the world are engaging in the same type of behavior. What makes the Salazar case so striking is that he is a conniving, devious asshole who is backed by the largest athletic clothing manufacturer in the world.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Goat Fan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 am

Agree that Salazer is the rule, not the exception. Unfortunately.
Superfan Emeritus
Goat Fan

Postby Goat Fan » Fri May 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Centro Sr. to step down as coach at AU to focus on coaching Centro Jr.

http://www.aueagles.com/sports/c-track/ ... 0519idk6me
Superfan Emeritus
Goat Fan

Postby Narddog » Fri May 19, 2017 5:51 pm

I can't figure out how Centro Sr. and Salazar are compatible. The former seems like an old school, stand up guy. I know Tom had/has respect for him and knew him from when Centro Sr. raced Sydney.
Narddog
Marathon Mastermind

Postby Goat Fan » Fri May 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Centro Sr. and Salazar were teammates at Oregon, both were tight with Dellinger.
Superfan Emeritus
Goat Fan

Postby dyoung » Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 pm

RunniNirvana wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/sports/nike-oregon-project-alberto-salazar-dathan-ritzenhein.html

NYT got a copy of USADA's report

Why the hell is this thing not being released? Will it ever?

this document has been my personal version of the trump piss tape for months, and we are all failures for not obtaining and publishing it.
dyoung

Postby RunniNirvana » Sat May 20, 2017 5:35 am

Rojo reached out to Fancy Bears to get a copy but never heard back.
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby RunniNirvana » Sat May 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Letsrun boards are saying Clay Murphy will be going to NOP after Pre. Apparently Centro Jr didn't want him there last year.

Sigh.
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby DCBarks » Sun May 21, 2017 12:41 pm

IAAF is hiring a "Head of Event Operations" based in Monaco, and I think between my law degree and that time I organized a charity run in 1999, I'm a qualified candidate.

https://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/employment
DCBarks

Postby RunniNirvana » Sun May 21, 2017 1:32 pm

But can you take a bribe?
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby dano » Tue May 23, 2017 11:31 am

dano

Postby zanelord » Tue May 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Am I the only one that did not hear about this?

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/ ... re-records

For me this falls into the same category as Pistorius. Amazing but should not be allowed to officially compete against non-prosthetic runners. "Officially" here means for championships, records, etc.
zanelord

Postby RunniNirvana » Tue May 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Good scoop, dyoung!
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby Goat Fan » Thu May 25, 2017 11:57 am

Wonder if Saladbar will get another chance to testilie under oath.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... _albe.html
Superfan Emeritus
Goat Fan

Postby RunniNirvana » Thu May 25, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm pessimistic of any official sanctions coming to NOP. It has been suggested to me though that NOP is preparing for something against Salazar though, based on Pete Julian taking over the reins for Rowbury and Centro Sr stepping down at AU to help out with his son. And maybe more to come, though it's hard to imagine that Rupp would ever back away from Salazar unless his future participation in the sport depended on it.

I've seen enough of this saga over the past two years though for me to feel pretty comfortable on where I stand. At this point, I don't see any compelling evidence that Salazar/NOP are doing anything that is now technically fined as doping. To oversimplify things, I think they're willing to do all the gray stuff in the world, but not anything that's over the line and clearly black. If they were doping (in a sanctionable way), I think we would know about it by now. It does seem like along the way to find every possible gray area advantage that Salazar has done some stuff that he wishes he could come back. I think he has acted unethically and possibly done some illegal stuff with prescription medication, but not anything against the WADA code as currently written.

I think he's looking for that extra 1% for his athletes and I think he's probably gotten it. What does this all add up to? It's the difference between Farah being a ~13:00 guy who qualifies for world finals but finishes out of the money, to Farah being someone who is on the conversation as one of the all-time greats. And I guess I would project that same delta onto all the others: Rupp being a solid American runner to Rupp being one of the greatest U.S. distance runners of all-time; Ritz having a great career to Ritz running 2:07; Hasay being a HS/NCAA champ to Hasay running 2:23 flat in her marathon debut; and on and on.

Salazar and Rupp are just Belichick and Brady. There's no doubt they are the most successful runners of their (and maybe any American) generation. But it's all got some degree of taint to it and whispers about what they were willing to do to get there.

It pains me to say this, because I like a lot of the athletes at NOP (past and present), but I think from this point forward I don't feel right rooting for any of them.
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Running