NBA 2016-17

talk about news, give advice, ask questions

Moderator: RunniNirvana

Re: NBA 2016-17

Postby Brick Neynolds » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 am

Wait, I'm confused. Don't the Sixers end up paying the same total in salary whether they're below or just at the floor? I thought the penalty if you're below was just distributing a bit more to players such that your total salary reaches the floor.

Or, are you saying more generally that the fact that they are always at or near the floor is all about cost savings? And, "The Process" is actually just a brilliant Ponzi-scheme? I'm there.
Brick Neynolds

Postby greg not hairball » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:16 am

The floor is based on cap numbers, not money actually paid out. So Bogut's whole $11 million salary counts towards the floor, even though the sixers only pay him the prorated amount of what he's owed. They technically reached the floor even though they're not paying out the full $80 million or whatever it is.

I wouldn't use the phrase Ponzi Scheme, but I'm leaning more and more towards the idea that it's just the owners shitting on fans under the guise of "patience."
greg not hairball

Postby Brick Neynolds » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Ah, got it.

Yeah, why spend a lot of money to be a good team, when you can spend no $$$, be shitty, and sell hopes and dreams.
Brick Neynolds

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:07 pm

This has been a terrible week as a sixers fan:

-Nerlens is gone for 25 cents on the dollar
-Simmons is out for the year (I'm actually not too worried about this though)
-Embiid is out at least 4 more games.
-We still have Okafor on our roster. Also, why the fuck would Okafor want to play for this team after the all the bullshit Colangelo put him through? I can't stand Okafor as a player but he should be commended for being absolutely dicked around by the sixers management the last month.
-Jerry Colangelo is still associated with the team

Obviously I'm still optimistic about the future of this team. We've still got Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Covington and McConnell. We have a very solid chance at a top 3 pick in this draft (our pick or kings) plus a 50/50 chance at getting another top 5 pick from the Lakers. On top of that we have other intriguing young prospects in Richaun Holmes and Luwawu Cabarot.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 am

Playoff Time!

I can't wait to see Boston lose in the first round to a shitty Bulls team! The Celtics have certainly rebuilt the right way by overly relying on a short point guard who's almost 30 for their entire offense. I love that Dwayne Wade tried to break Rajon Rondo's arm in a classic Miami/Boston series in the Heatles era and now Wade and Rondo are on the same team trying to beat the Celtics.

Warriors are too good. The Blazers played perfectly for 3 quarters, then the Warriors started playing defense and won the game by double digits. Draymond Green is a top 10 player in the NBA.

It seems like every superstar has a playoffs early in their career where their team advances further than expected. I hope this happens for Giannis. He is fascinating to watch. He can dunk from pretty much anywhere on the court in 2 steps.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Brick Neynolds » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Don't think you can say the Celtics rebuilt badly, given all their picks, but they're certainly sucking in this series. Robin Lopez killing it from mid-range is entertaining, maybe he'll join his brother behind the arc next year.

I just turned on the Jazz game and googled "Quinn Snyder comic book villain". This came up: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/the-utah-jazz-coach-looks-like-an-80s-sci-fi-movie-villain
Brick Neynolds

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Brick Neynolds wrote:Don't think you can say the Celtics rebuilt badly, given all their picks, but they're certainly sucking in this series.[/url]

I have a visceral hatred for all of the commentators who said the Sixers were a disgrace to the NBA while the Celtics, Suns, Magic, etc were "rebuilding the right way."

I think Danny Ainge gets too much credit for swindling Billy King and grabbing Isaiah Thomas off of the shit hole Suns. Is Al Horford worth ~30 million $ a year? Not to me he's not. The Celtics haven't been able to rebound all year and were unwilling to give up any of their role players to fix that problem when guys like Nerlens Noel, Jusuf Nurkic and Serge Ibaka were all available for reasonable to cheap prices. I forget who tweeted this, Lowe or Haberstroh maybe, but the Celtics are so overly reliant on Thomas that their offense drops off just as much when he's off the floor as when Westbrook is off the floor for the Thunder. They Celtics fans were so thrilled about their team over performing their +/- and getting to the 1 seed in a shit conference that they ignored the fact that their team has so many obvious flaws.

Also, how many teams in the NBA have at least 2 players better than anyone on the Celtics? Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, Grizzlies, Clippers, Jazz and Raptors at least. Against how many other playoff teams would the Celtics have the best player on the floor? Maybe the Atlanta Hawks but I'd still rather have Millsap than Thomas or Horford.

Also, Marcus Smart is a piece of shit and is not a good basketball player. He punched Matt Bonner in the dick and I'll never forgive him.

Finally, Quinn Snyder is awesome. He would finish 2nd in my ballot behind Pop.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Hildog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 pm

The NBA nerds can talk about The Process, rebuilding, assets, "[doesn't] move the needle", "max worthy", etc all they want, but man PLAYOFF BASKETBALL IS FUN. I'd take a second round exit every year rather than 1-2 decades of sucking waiting for a 2 year "window".

Also for you Philly people, shout out to former 76er Jason Smith for balling it out tonight admirably with Kieff in early foul trouble and Mahinmi out. Dude is horrendously unathletic but makes the right play. Also, Westtown alumn Daniel Ochefu came up big by SPRINTING into the wizards lockerroom during a timeout to get a replacement shoe for Kieff Morris before restarting play.
Hildog

Postby greg not hairball » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 am

Agreed, Hildog. The Wizards are really a paragon of continued excellence. They certainly didn't need high draft picks to get good players, other than John Wall, Bradley Beal, and Otto Porter.
greg not hairball

Postby greg not hairball » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 am

Snarkiness aside, most fans would prefer consistent second round exits (with the odd chance at a conference finals or even finals) but it's just not realistic. Every team has a window that they have to take advantage of. Is John Wall going to re-sign with a capped-out Wizards team in 2019 if they don't make it past the second round? Even if he does, how much longer will he be an all-star? Maybe Beal goes back to being injury-prone and Porter isn't really worth the max contract he's about to get, and they don't even make the second round again.

I get defensive about this because people act like the 76ers threw away some great opportunity in order to tank. They were going to be bad for 4 years anyway, and they chose to be very bad.

More importantly, did you know John Wall's middle name is Hildred?? Can we start calling him J Hildog?
greg not hairball

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am

greg not hairball wrote:Agreed, Hildog. The Wizards are really a paragon of continued excellence. They certainly didn't need high draft picks to get good players, other than John Wall, Bradley Beal, and Otto Porter.

Thank you! You goddamn hypocrite Hildner!

greg not hairball wrote:I get defensive about this because people act like the 76ers threw away some great opportunity in order to tank. They were going to be bad for 4 years anyway, and they chose to be very bad.

In the post-Iverson era the Sixers only made it to the 2nd round once. And they would've lost that series if Derrick Rose didn't tear his ACL. They recognized how limited their ceiling was and decided to trade Iggy, Vucevic and picks for Andrew Bynum. So, pre process, our best player was Jrue Holiday (probably not a top 15 point guard in the NBA), Evan Turner (trash!), Spencer Hawes (trash), and Thad Young (i love Thad). Yeah, that was a core that was going places.

I'm definitely pro "process" and think that teams are too hesitant to make bold long term moves. But, I'm not a championship or bust type of guy. I think if your team wins 50ish games or more that is a valuable season with reasonable chances of a fun playoff run. Or if your team is still developing and growing (Bucks or Denver for example) there are different expectations. If your team is stagnating in the 30s or low 40s without any pathway forward why not make a change? Especially if you have no foundational stars?

The Grizzlies are the perfect example of team that consistently has won in the 50s, won some series, but never truly challenged for a title. They were good for their city and the NBA as a whole. The late 2000s sixers were nothing like the Grizzlies. The current Wizards are most likely going to turn out like the Grizzlies, but I think the Wiz are an awesome team.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby GoatMP » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Hildog wrote:Also, Westtown alumn Daniel Ochefu came up big by SPRINTING into the wizards lockerroom during a timeout to get a replacement shoe for Kieff Morris before restarting play.

No job is too small for Daniel.

I'm the renaissance man of track and field, bitch.

"Praise the grammar police" - Pavement
GoatMP
Grammar M. Police

Postby Anders » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:26 am

Does anyone else think that nba.com is a really bad website? Slow videos, every page cluttered with ads. Right?
Anders

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Anders wrote:Does anyone else think that nba.com is a really bad website? Slow videos, every page cluttered with ads. Right?

Agreed. The app is even worse.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby dano » Wed May 03, 2017 8:44 am

not related to this nba season, but this post about an old stephen a. smith tweet is cracking me up.
dano

PreviousNext

Return to Running