talk about news, give advice, ask questions

Moderator: RunniNirvana

Re: NBA 2017-2018

Postby RunniNirvana » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 pm

RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:41 pm

What have people thought about the season to this point?

I'm pretty thrilled with the Sixers thus far. Ben Simmons has far exceeded my expectations for him. His finishing around the rim is elite and his defense is pretty darn good for a rookie. Embiid has finally been getting into shape and finding his rhythm and the last 2 weeks he's looked practically unstoppable. People throw around the term "3 and D" a lot to talk about shitty players who play mediocre D and shoot 35% from 3, see Jae Crowder; Robert Covington is actually a good 3&D player. I'm intrigued by this Markelle Fultz situation. I think he'll end up being a mediocre rookie who shows some glimpses of promise. Ideally by the end of the season Fultz, Dario, McConnell and Holmes can be a serviceable bench rotation because right now the sixers are getting killed when any combination of Embiid, Covington or Simmons sits.

The Celtics are interesting. People know my overall thoughts about Boston as a city so I can't say anything too complimentary without ruining my reputation. Brad Stevens is in the top 4 coaches in the NBA along with Pop, Kerr and Rick Carlisle (D'antoni and Spoelstra are borderline). It will be fun to see if they can push Cleveland in the playoffs this year. I wouldn't pencil in the Celtics over the Wizards either in the playoffs. I'm still not sold on Kyrie Irving being a top15 player in the NBA. And he doesn't think the earth is round which is pretty dumb. But, I really like Jaylen Brown. He's a wing that every team in the NBA would love to have right now.

The Rockets are quietly kicking ass. It will be a crime if James Harden finishes 2nd in MVP voting this year. I'll be intrigued to see if Paul can fit into the lineup now that he's back from his knee injury. Speaking of knee injuries, the Spurs are 3rd in the Western Conference and Leonard hasn't played a minute this season. Pop is a national treasure. If it came out that any popular figure has a history of sexual assault, it would disappoint me most to find out it was Greg Popovich.

Giannis is incredible. He's so fun to watch. Even with Bledsoe the Bucks don't have any real talent surrounding Giannis. People keep mentioning the Bucks, Celtics and Sixers are future east contenders for the next decade. But, I think aside from Giannis the Bucks just do not have the current roster talent or assets to have the same possible ceiling as the Celtics and Sixers.

I'm intrigued to see if the Thunder can figure it out. Westbrook has been a lot worse this year. Melo is not used to playing 3rd fiddle. Steven Adams never materialized into the player everyone thought he would become. They have no bench, and I'm not sure Billy Donovan is a good coach.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Anders » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Great post Ivo.

Name 14 players better than Kyrie though.
Anders

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Anders wrote:Great post Ivo.

Name 14 players better than Kyrie though.

Lebron, Durant, Curry, Harden, Westbrook, Leonard, Giannis, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green, Chris Paul, John Wall, Rudy Gobert, Jimmy Butler, Paul George.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Anders » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks. I agree with the first 8.
Anders

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Anders wrote:Thanks. I agree with the first 8.

In my mind Draymond Green and Chris Paul are clearly better than Kyrie. Draymond Green is the most versatile and maybe the best defender in the league. Chris Paul has statistically ranked as one of the top 3 point guards for the last like 8 years. Obviously Paul is aging. The gap between Jimmy Butler and Paul George compared to the average wing in the NBA is much bigger than the gap between Kyrie and Goran Dragic. I can see how someone would disagree with Wall and Gobert. I honestly believe that Embiid is better than Kyrie but won't try to make that argument until we see what Embiid can do over the course of a season. Karl Anthony Towns is also possibly better than Kyrie.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby greg not hairball » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am

I've been skeptical of the Celtics and Irving, but the evidence is mounting that they're really good. It still doesn't make sense that their defense could be this good, but even if it comes back to earth, it's still hard to see them missing out on the 1 seed. I would love a Philly vs. Boston playoff series (say 1 v. 5), though that would require Embiid being healthy the whole year.
greg not hairball

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Ivo Milic-Strkalj wrote:The Rockets are quietly kicking ass. It will be a crime if James Harden finishes 2nd in MVP voting this year. I'll be intrigued to see if Paul can fit into the lineup now that he's back from his knee injury.

The Rockets have looked even better now that Chris Paul is back. I think they haven't lost a game since CP3 has been in the lineup. They can play 48 minutes a night with a top 5 ball handler running their offense. It took about 15 games for people to forget how good Chris Paul is.

Ivo Milic-Strkalj wrote:I'm intrigued to see if the Thunder can figure it out. Westbrook has been a lot worse this year. Melo is not used to playing 3rd fiddle. Steven Adams never materialized into the player everyone thought he would become. They have no bench, and I'm not sure Billy Donovan is a good coach.

The Thunder are still underwhelming. It's comical how little Westbrook tries when he doesn't have the ball in his hands; he just stands there at the top of the key with his hands on his knees. He makes his teammates worse; Victor Oladipo has been so much better this year. I think it's pretty funny that Sam Presti is lauded as this great GM when anyone starting a team would rather have Durant or Harden rather than Westbrook. On top of that he has never hired a good coach and fired Presti about 2 years too late.

The Cavs are good again. What a surprise. Lebron is still Lebron.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 am

I've got an extra ticket to the live Rights to Ricky Sanchez pod tonight at Union Transfer if anyone is interested. Let me know!
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Anders » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm starting to kind of like Marcus Smart.
Anders

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:21 am

Anders wrote:I'm starting to kind of like Marcus Smart.

His double flop on James Harden to end the game against the Rockets was hysterical. Two of the most egregious floppers going to war against each other.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:37 am

Dear Kyrie,

This is what it means to "stay woke"
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -interview

Your teammate,
Jaylen Brown
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby RunniNirvana » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:43 am

Does this mean you like a Boston athlete?
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby Koseph Jarpenter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Kyrie's response:

Cool, but the earth is still flat.
Koseph Jarpenter
merv Logjammin'

Postby greg not hairball » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 am

This is some really solid Joel Embiid content:

Cross-listed in the Last Jedi thread