World Cup 2018

talk about news, give advice, ask questions

Moderator: RunniNirvana

World Cup 2018

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:21 pm

The World Cup groups are set for 2018. I hope you guys will still be watching even though the USA will be absent because they couldn't beat Trinidad and Tobago. I guess Christian Pulisic should've played for his ancestral homeland of Croatia rather than a country with little to no international soccer success. Croatia would benefit from having him on their roster, and the US clearly is so bad that one promising young player won't fix years of player development issues. As it turns out most rich white suburban kids don't turn out to be world class soccer players even though their parents are willing to shell out 10k a year for their kids to play for private clubs. Anyhow, here are the groups:

Group A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia
Group B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco
Group C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia
Group D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria
Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
Group G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama
Group H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Russia got "lucky." It's pretty obvious the draw is rigged. The 2018 World Cup will have the worst opening matchup of all time in the "human rights abuse bowl" between Saudi Arabia and Russia. It will be infuriating to see how many questionable calls the Russians benefit from over the course of the World Cup. I predict that on the backs of the referees they will advance to the semifinals.

Portugal vs Spain will be a great game in group B. Though I expect those two teams to steamroll Morocco and Iran.

Group C is quietly pretty good. France should win handily but any of the 3 remaining teams could make it out of the group stage. I'm rooting for Peru.

Croatia has a tough road in group D. Iceland and Croatia already played each other twice in qualifying with each team winning at home; this should be an interesting round 3. Argentina has rebounded since a tough start to their qualifying campaign. They have maybe the most prolific attack in international soccer, but their defense is shit. I think Argentina and Croatia will advance out of the group.

E: This is another really tough group. Brazil should qualify, though I hope Neymar gets injured. I hate CONCACAF so I think Costa Rica will finish last. Honestly, Serbia should probably finish second.

F: This might be the group of death, but groups D and E are pretty close to as tough. Germany always handles their business in group stage matches. I really hope Mexico doesn't make it out of the group but I think they might. I do think Sweden can match up well against Mexico. The Hueng Min Son's are pretty good too.

G: Belgium and England will qualify. It'll be interesting to see if Belgium can finally play well together. They have great players at almost every position in De Bruyne, Lukaku, Hazard, Vertongen, Alderweireld, Dembele, Felaini.

Group H is almost as bad as group A. Colombia will qualify fairly easily.

As a whole there is no real "group of death" this time around. I think part of the reason is that a few really good teams in Italy, Netherlands and Chile missed out on qualifying. Other than groups A and H the rest of the groups are pretty fair. I think this is one of the most open World Cups in a while. I'm really interested to see if a non-traditional power like Belgium can win. Also, I'm intrigued to see how Spain plays now that they're integrating some of their younger talent in Isco, Asensio and Morata. As boring as it may sound Germany may still be the favorite though none of their players are really that interesting to watch in my opinion; unless Marco Reus can stay healthy for 6 months and make the roster. I hate Brazil and will always hate Brazil and Neymar is my least favorite athlete in professional sports.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby RunniNirvana » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:23 pm

You hate Neymar more than Nadal?
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:09 pm

RunniNirvana wrote:You hate Neymar more than Nadal?

It's not even close. I just find Nadal's personality really boring and still kind of believe that a lot of his "injuries" were not actually injuries by silent suspensions for steroid usage.

Neymar is such a whiny sack of shit. Barcelona was fun to watch until he showed up. He flops whenever he gets touched. He plays like the golden boy everyone has told him he is his whole life. He left Barcelona to go to the 5th best league in Europe on a team that is trying to buy it's way to a Champions League title. I hate the current iteration of Brazilian soccer largely because of him, but also goddamn David Luiz. I hope they get throttled 7-1 again in this World Cup. The only bummer is that this time their home country won't be in attendance to watch their team lose.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby PrimoTiempo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:11 am

I'm pumped
PrimoTiempo

Postby RunniNirvana » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Ivo, if Popovich coached Neymar, would you root for him?

Basically, what do you get if you mix pure good with pure evil? A national treasure with an international embarrassment?
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby Ivo Milic-Strkalj » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 pm

RunniNirvana wrote:Ivo, if Popovich coached Neymar, would you root for him?

Basically, what do you get if you mix pure good with pure evil? A national treasure with an international embarrassment?

Pop would never coach Neymar because Pop only coaches high character players.
Ivo Milic-Strkalj

Postby Koseph Jarpenter » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:13 am

Or would he turn Neymar in to a high character player?
Koseph Jarpenter
merv Logjammin'

Return to Running