Buying skis

talk about news, give advice, ask questions

Moderator: RunniNirvana

Buying skis

Postby corn diesel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:26 pm

So, I go skiing about 2x a year. I always rent. I figure I can save money over the long term, and ski with more frequency and spontaneity, if I buy a pair. What advice can anyone give me? I don't think I need super fancy. If someone suggested 3 different pairs, I would seriously consider just getting the cheapest. Skill level: I'm kind of on the cusp of blue square vs. black diamond trails. Double black diamonds are like a blooper reel.
corn diesel

Re: Buying skis

Postby Hildog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Hey I'm actually trying to get rid of my skis. I used them for two seasons when I lived in Colorado but haven't used them since moving back east. I also was advanced intermediate type skier and they were fine for me. I wanna say they are 170 or 175cm. I can check when I get home. my friend who found the skis for me likened them to a Camry. I also have slightly fancier boots, but it'd be hard to tell if they feel good on ur feet (am size 10.5). In general the boot is much more important than the ski. I'm happy to give em both to u for just shipping cost since I'm really not going to use them again. Email me if your interested.
Hildog

Postby jiggy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:39 pm

I <3 runnerunner
jiggy
Old-timer

Postby SeaGoat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 am

Don't worry about the skis too much. My advice is to go to a reputable boot fitter and get yourself a solid pair of boots that fit well. If your boots feel good and perform well, you'll enjoy skiing more and I expect that you'll be more apt to go skiing.

For skis, take Hildner's or if that doesn't work, it's still early season, so you can probably get a great deal by going to a bigg-ish ski resort and buying a pair of last year's demo skis.

But definitely invest in a good pair of custom fitted boots. It's a different world, and not that huge of an investment if you're even going to dabble in such an expensive hobby.
SeaGoat
Wise Sage

Postby corn diesel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:43 am

I'm more looking for the Honda Accord Hybrid of skis, Hildog. But this sounds like a great deal. However, I insist on paying half what you paid for them, accounting for inflation but also depreciation. Let's just say that works out to half.

Where are you these days? If East Coast, I wonder if I'll be driving past you over the holidays and might just pick them up rather than having them shipped.

And while we're talking about boots, like, what are we talking about in terms of price range? And is this just me going to a ski shop and saying "fit me for some custom boots bro?"
corn diesel

Postby Narddog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:37 pm

corn diesel wrote:I'm more looking for the Honda Accord Hybrid of skis, Hildog. But this sounds like a great deal. However, I insist on paying half what you paid for them, accounting for inflation but also depreciation. Let's just say that works out to half.

Where are you these days? If East Coast, I wonder if I'll be driving past you over the holidays and might just pick them up rather than having them shipped.

And while we're talking about boots, like, what are we talking about in terms of price range? And is this just me going to a ski shop and saying "fit me for some custom boots bro?"

I would recommend either "fit me for some custom boots bruh" or "fit me for some custom boots brah".
Narddog
Marathon Mastermind

Postby RunniNirvana » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:54 pm

"Tommy likey skis"
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby zanelord » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 pm

RunniNirvana wrote:"Tommy likey skis"

4 Goats.
zanelord

Postby corn diesel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 pm

I’m literally at a restaurant called the Wing Bucket in Dallas, Texas right now.
corn diesel

Postby Hildog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Hey check your pm tommy
Hildog

Postby Narddog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:10 am

corn diesel wrote:I’m literally at a restaurant called the Wing Bucket in Dallas, Texas right now.

How many wings did you consume? Round up to the nearest dozen for convenience.
Narddog
Marathon Mastermind

Postby corn diesel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:31 am

I’m trying to post a pic but the file’s too large.
corn diesel

Postby Narddog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:58 am

corn diesel wrote:I’m trying to post a pic but the file’s too large.

We do have a good impression of your volume.
Narddog
Marathon Mastermind

Return to Running