Returning to the gym

talk about news, give advice, ask questions

Moderator: RunniNirvana

Returning to the gym

Postby Narddog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:20 am

I’m able to incorporate a gym into my morning commute and would like to establish a bit of a lifting routine during the week.

I haven’t lifted in years. I’ve been sporadic about pushups and core.

Any advice on how to ease back in? What to do on day 1 and weeks 1-4, or longer?
Narddog
Marathon Mastermind

Re: Returning to the gym

Postby RunniNirvana » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 am

Say no to Dad bod?
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby Narddog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 pm

RunniNirvana wrote:Say no to Dad bod?

I knew this was going to be a helpful thread.

And it is now "say slow the hell down to dad bod".
Narddog
Marathon Mastermind

Postby nathan patton » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 pm

While it may sound stupid, I've actually enjoyed the Zac Efron workouts, which do a good job of rotating between muscle groups, and focusing on supersets (so you get a bit of aerobic work in there):

https://www.mensfitness.com/training/wo ... dy-program
nathan patton
Stormin Norman

Postby lampshade » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 am

Just do 8 sets of maxed out pull ups three days a week. I did that for a semester when I couldn't run and it was great.
lampshade

Postby The Burmeister » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:09 am

lampshade wrote:Just do 8 sets of maxed out pull ups three days a week. I did that for a semester when I couldn't run and it was great.

So this is embarrassing but I literally cannot do a pull up. The only time in my life I was ever able to do a single pull up was when Clancy had that rock climbing hold thing in Leeds and I was messing around with it once a week or so. What's my starting point? How does one get to a point where they can do 8 sets of pull ups?
The Burmeister

Postby SeaGoat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Burm, I can think of two good options to transition to normal pull ups, and I've used both of these with HS T&F kids with some perceived success.

1- do negative pull ups/let downs, where you jump up to the top position (maybe off of a box or bench, or just from standing on a low bar) and try to lower yourself as slowly as possible. Sometimes I like using these on kids who are plenty strong to do pull ups. I just get them to do it in pairs, and have the second person pull the first down from the top position as the first tries to resist. It's a tough eccentric exercise, and can make you really sore, so be judicious with its use.

2- Use a bar that's low enough that your feet stay on the ground, but out in front of you so that you're at an angle and do something akin to a reverse push up. Keep increasing the height of the bar so that the angle of your body is more vertical as you gain strength. Or just use a bar low enough that you can aid with your feet as needed.

If you're at a gym that has weight machines, they might have a lat pull-down machine with which you can use essentially pull-up/chin-up mechanics with whatever weight you select.
Last edited by SeaGoat on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaGoat
Wise Sage

Postby SeaGoat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Bernie, if you're just having pretty limited gym time (~30 minutes a few times per week), I'd think the most bang for your buck might be with Olympic lifts (clean, clean and jerk, snatch, and all of their variants). Just do the bodyweight stuff at home opportunistically. If you have a little extra time you could throw in a few short sets (maybe 3 sets of 3) of heavy-ish squats or deadlift (or even bench if you're in to that) after the Olympic lifts.

As far as easing back in to it, just start with light weight, getting the feel for form and timing. Keep it somewhat easy feeling with sets of maybe 6-8 until you feel like you're half-way mechanically decent on the lift. Then try some escalating sets e.g. 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps with increasing weight as the reps decrease - experiment to find a weights that give a bit of challenge on the last couple of reps. Once you're comfortable with that, increase the weight and go with fewer reps (maybe 5,4,3,3,2,2 or something like that). Probably keep the Olympic lifts in front of the static lifts (heavy squat/deadlift/bench).
SeaGoat
Wise Sage

Postby RunniNirvana » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Can we get back to talking about Zac Efron?
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby RunniNirvana » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:35 pm

I love how I’m just trolling one of my best friend’s attempts to get in better shape.
RunniNirvana
Board Whore

Postby greg not hairball » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 pm

A related question: I go through spurts where I'll go to the gym once or twice a week. I usually just do an aerobic workout, where I'll do like 12 reps of a fairly random mix of exercises with some light weights. Is that actually doing anything for me?
greg not hairball

Postby Juan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:30 am

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Great all around workout with good instructions and structure for beginners.
Juan

Postby The Chick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 am

Narddog wrote:I’m able to incorporate a gym into my morning commute and would like to establish a bit of a lifting routine during the week.

I haven’t lifted in years. I’ve been sporadic about pushups and core.

Any advice on how to ease back in? What to do on day 1 and weeks 1-4, or longer?

hildner wrote:Chest, Back, Guns!
The Chick

Postby The Chick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:57 am

lampshade wrote:Just do 8 sets of maxed out pull ups three days a week. I did that for a semester when I couldn't run and it was great.

lampshade wrote:I once climbed into a third floor window at Bryn Mawr!
The Chick

Postby corn diesel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 am

FWIW, my favorite super simple program: https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

It presumes a certain familiarity with the squat and deadlift, though. Let me know if you want to discuss.
corn diesel

Next

Return to Running